Thursday, April 23, 2015

The Rise Of Fantasy


So, I was recently watching an interview with Charles Dance, who played Twin Lannister on Game of Thrones. He is also voice acting for one of the main characters for Witcher III. He was talking about how fantasy has come full circle recently. Now myself I have always been interested in fantasy. To me if you are going to play something that isn't "real" you might as well go all out. Give me magic, give me dragons, give me whatever else you can think of.

Now I know others have always stay away from this sort of thing as it seemed too far fetched and unrealistic in games. So why now are fantasy games becoming much more popular? Well I actually think this can be attributed to graphics. Yes these things are just as much supernatural as they ever were, but I think the visuals are so beautifully designed those doubters just don't think about it.

Really though I think it has become the norm that any fantasy game to get into the mainstream has to be beyond amazing to look at. People won't accept a poor looking fantasy game unless they are a fantasy fan in general. Those that need convincing need the visuals to bring them in. This isn't a bad thing really. As I have always stated graphics aren't the most important thing to me, but if the gameplay is great and it looks amazing then that is what makes a top level game. One that will be played and enjoyed by everyone.

I urge you the next time you are messing around in a fantasy game pay attention to the details involved and keep that in mind when you switch to a game with another thing. You will realize the detail just isn't the same. Look what this has done for us though. With the current popularity of fantasy games they have been given more funding and have made countless fantastic games for all of us to enjoy. That in itself is something to be thankful for!

No comments:

Post a Comment