Friday, October 14, 2011

How About That T13?

Damn it is Friday already! Guess that is what happens when it is a short week because of a long weekend. The next weekend comes like nothing. Not that I am complaining I love the weekend! Friday though means it is time for me to let all of you take over and say your piece about the topic at hand. This week I asked you all to send in your responses to the direction of Blizzard's Art teams direction of Tier 13. So let's get to it shall we?

Speaking on behalf of the Priest Tier. Great job done by Blizzard! It is an amazing design and I can't think of anyway to make it better! Genius idea for ‘Venetian carnival style with creepy, soulless black eyes,’ every priest tier seems to be better than the last and the whole idea that the new fad of going backwards won't be done too often if they keep up this style with Priests.                             

I feel as though Blizzard is potentially running out of ideas. They seem to be using *similarly* looking gear as new gear. Example, season what-ever-the-hell-we-are-on compared to last season or using NPC looks for gear eg warrior-deathwing. Shaman-thrall. Although, I'm  not saying these are bad things.

I hope they continue to do these sorts of preview. Explaining their methodology and aim with each tier set makes it a lot easier to see where they were going with the theme and get us to say "Oh yeah, I see what they were going for" instead of "Dude, WTF is that?!"

I feel transmogrification has changed the way the art is done. Now, I think they are more "free" of going with really great concepts because they do not have to please the majority anymore, you can just get a old tier you like and hide what you hate. I also feel, by taking theses risks, the players who will like it will like it more.

Before this Tier I didn't think they could make a Pally Set more awful looking. Then they did the Tier 13 preview for them, and then I said I don't think pally tier could look any worse then this, and then I saw that helm on a female model. I hold my head in shame, but you probably don't care because I play a Pally anyway. 

I never considered that the transmogrification development would have such a wonderful impact on the way the sets are designed. The only times it feels they were totally free to do whatever they willed with the art direction of this game was TBC and more recently the elemental plane zones and instances, and those are easily my favorite sections of gameplay. While I disagree with a few parts of this particular sets this coming tier, I don't think anyone can claim that every set this tier doesn't look striking and memorable.

I don't get why so many people are complaining about the Mage Tier. It's called Time-Lords Regalia. The cogwheels actually fit it pretty well. Just look at the inside of any analog clock. The goggles I haven't quite figured those out yet, but if I had to guess the idea behind it it would be that they are used to see through time. Overall I think Blizz did a pretty good job with the design matching the name.

And there you have it that is it for this week's Reader Post. As always thank you to everyone who submitted something and if yours didn't get posted doesn't mean I didn't read it. If you would like to participate in next week's Post look for the topic during Sunday's Ask Gauss Post. Until then have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Completely agree being able to use past tier sets lets the sets take on a life of their own because you don't have to please everyone, because if you don't like people will just use something they did before. Win-Win in my books

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how about that DK tier.../sigh

    ReplyDelete