Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My Poor Keyring

So I am pretty sure everyone has heard about this change

World of Warcraft has evolved quite a bit since the day the Keyring bag slot was added in patch 1.11. When implemented, this Keyring provided players with a convenient way of storing dungeon, quest, and other keys automatically. Back when the largest bag was a mind bottling 18 slots - rumoured to be bottomless - the Keyring helped save precious bag space. But as things tend to do, time went on, bags got bigger, and designs for gating content (literally and figuratively) evolved through the years.



In today's Azeroth, keys don't really serve much of a purpose except to take up physical storage space from the game (which could be used for other awesome stuff), and visual interface space on yours. Because of this, we've decided to get rid of the Keyring in order to free up some user interface space for exciting new features. This change could also potentially allow us to play around with the amount of default storage space you're allotted down the road. So, what does this mean for you and the keys you might not have looked at in the last couple expansions or so?

We're currently working on the implementation of a system in patch 4.2 which will handle the removal of the Keyring, while causing you as little hassle with keys as possible. Some keys which no longer serve a purpose in the game will automatically be removed from your inventory. In return, you'll be compensated for them with their respective vendor sell prices in gold. You might also have random leftover quest keys from outdated quests, or quests which were removed in Cataclysm. Keys that fall into this category have no use and no sell price, as they are labelled as quest items, and will be automatically removed from your inventory. Any remaining keys that might still potentially serve some use in the game will be transferred into your regular inventory. If there is not enough space in your inventory to hold any leftover keys once patch 4.2 hits live realms, the keys will be placed in a backlogged storage system. Once space is made for a backlogged key, the key will take that space after you log out or switch to a new zone (i.e. changing continents, entering a dungeon or Battleground, etc.).

We are continuing to work on new ways of allowing you to better manage the storage of various items in the game, and it is our goal to make sure the removal of the Keyring causes as little inconvenience to you as possible.


What I am concerned with is storage space. I have every key, I believe, that will not be exempt. I have all BC heroic keys, Shadow Labs, Arcatraz, Maly 10 and 25, Celestrial Planetarium 10 and 25, Karazhan, and the Scarlet Key. So I am not a Blacksmith so won't have to deal with the madness of the Skeleton keys, but still. I understand this may lead to more bag space relief in another direction, which I completely agree with. The fact of the matter is I cannot get rid of any of these keys. Yes a tabard interface would be amazing since I am pretty sure I may have every single tabard ever created in my bank. Blizzard makes all this holiday gear, archaeology items, and so on and so forth and now are going to be taking away one of the things that has saved us space for years and asking us to make room for there things. I know people will say just rid yourself of things you have collected over the years, but honestly that really isn't an option. I just hope they think of something for someone like me that has played the game since the start, has 26 slot bags in every slot and is already running out of bag space.

3 comments:

  1. I pray to never see your bank

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sad. I was so proud of myself for getting every single key you needed to get into anywhere. I loved it when someone would say, "I need to run Scholo. Who has the key?" and the answer was always, "Gimm does." I used to have 152 Relic Coffer Keys before I did get rid of all but 10 of those. Are they even needed anymore? I haven't checked.

    I heard they are doing away with the need for keys for heroic BC content. To me, that was a part of the game, just as an attunement. I only got one when you needed to be revered to buy them and I remember the hew and cry when the reputation requirement was lowered to honored, but, it did open up content to people. I still think you should have a key to get into those instances, but I do acknowledge that's the "old" gamer in me wanting new people to experience something of what I went through.

    Like you, Gauss, I have very, very little bag space. I loved going to no ammo but that ammo now storage bag filled up quickly. I have come to like not needing to feed my pet because the food I carry is now only what I need. But I don't have an open bag. I hope tabards are put on a tab similar to mounts and pets. They really need to implement my wardrobe system. I view this change with trepidation.

    --Gimmlette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya i heard heroic keys will be refunded, although that doesn't solve the problem of the other keys

    ReplyDelete