Friday, December 10, 2010

My First 24

So it is Friday and time for the first Reader Post for Cataclysm. This week I asked people to submit their stories for the first 24 hours of Cataclysm. I wanted to know all about their experiences. So let's begin.

Thinking I could get a head start on leveling, I had completed quests in Icecrown in advance, with the idea that once Cataclysm went live, I’d turn them in and get a small chunk of XP to get rolling with. I had heard reports that Blizzard was going to nerf the amount of XP these quests gave to discourage people from doing just that, and it seemed they did so, as I didn’t get a single point of XP for the 23 quests I turned in. As it turned out, this just was a bug that stopped people from getting XP for a short period of time, as other people were able to turn in Icecrown quests for XP a few minutes later. But I got a huge chunk of gold for turning in the quests, so it wasn’t a loss by any stretch.

I had a bunch of friends over and we decided to have a drinking game. The game was whenever someone stole one of our mobs then we had to take a drink. Let me say we were drunk out of our minds by the end of the first hour. I'd tell you what else happened the first 24 hours, but for some reason I cannot remember it.

I decided to go for the realm first fish and proved that there’s a bottomless pit of jackasses who play WoW, one guy had nothing better to do at 1AM than try to grief me by parking his mammoth on top of my fishing line. This is why you showed up for the midnight launch? To run around and be a dick to other people? No stranger to this type of stupidity, I threw some Baby Spice on the guy to shrink him, which apparently earned the dumbass’s respect. “haha baby spice pro move”. As I sat there blazing through fishing, I watched server announcements for many of the Realm Firsts for other professions fall quickly. Cooking was gone within five minutes. Skinning took about a half hour, followed shortly by mining and then herbalism. Fishing finally fell at 2AM, with me trailing about 15 minutes behind. A little bummed but not surprised, I headed to Hyjal to finish up the fishing achievement and get some useful catches for the new cooking recipes, and then called it a night.

I spent a lot of time trying to get ahead of the curve, but I also wanted to make sure that I was experiencing the zone. One thing I regretted about Wrath was I zipped through all of the content and didn't pay attention to the lore of the zone. I tell you, you have gotten me extremely interested in the Lore and I made sure this time around I enjoyed it. I was rewarded because at the end of my first 24 hours the epic event with Ragnaros in Hyjal was just amazing.

I just found it amazing at how fast people were leveling and gaining the realm first achievements. I was just getting into deepholm when I got the message that 2 people had leveled to 85. I could have sworn I was going as fast as possible. Sure there were times that it took me a little time to find some things, but honestly enough that someone could gain 2+ levels on me that quickly? So in the first 24 hours I realized that next time if I want to be even close to a realm first achieve I have to have a real plan.


That is it for this week hope you enjoyed it all. As always if you want to get in on next week's Reader Post look for the topic during Sunday's Ask Gauss post and then send it on in. Enjoy your weekend and Cataclysm.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the speed of the realm first people absolutely insane.

    ReplyDelete